Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Little Southern Comfort

I made a new thing today! And it's not an apron, it's FOOD! Yummmmy. I got my new Simple and Delicious magazine (a part of Taste of Home) in the mail a few days ago and I spotted a recipe that looked well, simple AND delicious! Also, I had most of what I needed to make it in my posession already so, I knew that I would be making it some time soon. That time was today, my friends, today.

'What is this magical recipe?' you may ask. Well, dear friends, it's a good ol' southern staple (that I have never had coming from a yankee family), Chicken 'n Dumplin's! You have to say it like that or else it's not authentic.

SO, this was what I like to consider a "semi-home-made recipe" (hello Sandra Lee). It involves using staples from your pantry like, biscuit mix and cream of chicken soup. I didn't have cream of chicken so I used cream of mushroom but, as I told my husband earlier, I consider most of those soups to be completely interchangable. Turned out delicious! Take a gander!


Make it for yourself!
What you need:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (thawed). I suppose you could use fresh ones if you're feeling fancy
2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted (again, I used cream of mushroom)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning (I didn't have this so I just sprinkled in my own mix of seasonings and then some extra pepper because I like pepper)

Dumplings:
1 cup biscuit/baking mix (bisquick, people!)
1/3 cup French-fried onions, coarsley chopped (to avoid walking around the store forever like I did, these are kept by the canned green beans)
7 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes

In a Dutch oven (don't have one, used a large non-stick pot), combine the first 6 ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, onions, parsley and milk until just moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoons full into simmering stew. Cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.

Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (Do not lift the cover while simmering - duh).

That's all! Spoon into very large bowls (trust me, you'll want a lot) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment