Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sloppy Joes

I go to the grocery store towards the beginning of the week so by the end of the week I'm usually like "Hrm... what should I make with this?" It's usually chicken, but this week, it's ground beef! My go-tos for this are meatballs, meat loaf, cheeseburgers and chili. Well, I felt like switching it up a little bit and was trying to decide what to make and then it hit me... Sloppy Joes! If you've never made sloppy joes from scratch, you're missing out. I pretty much always have all of the ingredients on hand so, this makes for the perfect meal in a pinch. Also, they're delicious and remind me of my childhood so that's a double whammy of awesome! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com but I tweeked it quite a bit. You can either follow the link, or you can do it my way, either way, you're in for a treat :-)




What you need:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tomato chopped
1/2 cap full of vinegar
dash or two of worchestire
1 Tablespoon of BBQ sauce
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste


Directions:

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and onions, drain off liquids.


Stir in the everything else (but save the salt and pepper for later). Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (and more of anything else that you think would be good).

Pile it on some buns, maybe add some cheese and enjoy!



Wow... that was hard. Have a glass of wine and give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment