Monday, March 28, 2011

Coasting

I've been really busy with my Etsy Shop lately. I've been making aprons like a crazy person! I needed a break from that (if only for a day) so, I decided to make something different that didn't require a needle and thread. Coasters! Yes, they're easy but cute and that's a winning combination for me any day! 
I went to the hardware store and bought some 4.25x4.25 inch tiles and some sealent, then I went to target to pick up some pretty paper, then I came home and got cracking! It was nice to make something that didn't require my sewing machine for a change! My only problem is that I only bought 8 tiles. I was thinking that I'd just get some to start and see how it went but now I'm hooked and I really wish that I had bought more tiles! No worries, Home Depot is just across the street :-)

Here are the 2 sets that I did today. I spent a lot of my day cutting up pretty paper in anticipation of heading back to Home Depot to pick up some more tiles. These aren't done YET, they still need a coat or 2 of polyurithane but this is what they'll look like (perhaps they'll be a bit shinier).


set #1 (I'm kind of in love with these but they don't match my home decor)

set #2

I'm sure there will be many many more of these in the not-so-distant future. I'll try to refrain from posting all of them.

2 comments:

  1. omg, abbs, i love them. so jealous of all your talents! they're beautiful ... New Gift Idea!

    what kind of paper and tile - plain ceramic tile? and how many coats of sealant? i'm sooooo impressed with your newest craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plain white ceramic tiles from home depot, scrapbooking paper, 'Mod Podge' to decopauge the paper to the tile and some sort of clear acrylic or polyurithane spray (home depot).
    I was going to spray them today but I had stacked them in top of eachother last night but due to the humidity (and them not being completely sealed yet), they stuck together and 1/2 of them got ruined. I just peeled the paper off and I'll have to start over. Oh well! Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete